My friend asked me recently if I would help her do a really quick makeover of her bedroom. She’s just moved into an unfurnished shared house and wanted to make her room look ‘grown-up’ but wasn’t sure where or how to spend the money. The constraints were that she needed furniture within two weeks and she wanted it all to be brand new. Huh, I said to myself. Did she know that most furniture shops have leading times of weeks rather than days, I asked. No, apparently not.
So, I got searching, ordering and then helped her put it all together to create a fresh, simple, grown-up bedroom. I bought all the furniture from Loaf, who were super helpful and got the bed to us within ten days. I then grabbed a few things from around the house to help style the room.
I ordered the Loaf Bobbin bed and once it had arrived my friend moved in but she wasn’t sure how to style the room. The problems were:
– Mismatching bed linen
– No lamp
– Blank wall
– Temporary bedside table
– Exposed wires
The changes I made were:
– I sorted out her bedlinen so she had a matching set, which instantly lifts any bedroom. A well made bed makes a world of difference.
– I framed a piece of vintage wallpaper to fill the blank wall. Don’t use unframed prints or posters if you want a more sophisticated feel to your room.
– Fresh flowers, which instantly brighten any interior.
– I added some colour with the linen, wallpaper and tea-cup. A colour scheme can tie a room together as long as it’s not a ready-made colour scheme i.e. matching cushions, curtains and duvet cover – yuk!
– I hid the wires by drilling a hole into the side of the wardrobe and fed the lamp wire through it as there is a plug socket in the wardrobe.
Now it’s a question of adding some personality and ‘stuff’ to make it more homely – maybe some photos, a rug, shelves, a quilt. But hopefully, this is a good canvas to start with.
It’s my birthday today so I’m off to the Cinnamon Club for a yummy dinner with Jules. I wonder if I’ll get some nice presents (wouldn’t mind some new furniture myself – just sayin’!) x