Hello and sorry for the radio silence! We’ve been very busy feeling tired (ha!), running around after a toddler and trying to wrap up the end of our renovation project. Our contractor has been brilliant and basically finished ahead of schedule after eight weeks – unheard of, no? – and then it was Jules’s turn to take over and finish sanding the floorboards that he began some weeks ago. This has dragged on for far longer than anticipated firstly because he only has the weekends (the house is an hour from where we are staying so the evenings after work aren’t really an option) and secondly because I didn’t like the finish and made him re-do it – twice (and still wasn’t happy!). Last week to get things moving and save Jules’s knees we made the decision to pass the last sand and oiling over to our builders. The sanding has now been done, we are having the house cleaned from top to bottom on Wednesday and then the floor will be oiled, the (small) kitchen will be fitted and we have booked to move our furniture in on September 8th – yay! Once we are in there will still be LOADS of small things to do inside like tiling the fireplaces, putting shelves into cupboards, mending the original fire hearths, hanging lights etc but I like the idea of it being an ongoing project and living there for a while to get a feel for what we need and what will work best.
Anyhoo, back to the problems with the floorboards. Basically, I love the colour of the original boards in their raw state but well aware that they will get darker and more orange once they are oiled so I wanted to try out a white stain to try and neutralise the orange. Jules first of all tried out a cheap method our builder suggested, which involved using a mix of white spirit and white emulsion paint. This worked well but looked too much like a white wash, which isn’t what I wanted. Therefore, Jules sanded that off and tried the white stain Osmo oil. We did a sample and the white was barely noticeable so went ahead and used it on a whole room and I hated it! I think the colour of our boards make the white stain look purple almost! It had to go and this was the point at which Jules asked the builders to take over the sanding – ha!! We have now settled on Osmo Raw oil, which is supposed to make the wood look like its raw state and reduce the ‘wet look’ of oil. I’m keeping everything crossed that I like it!
A success that I have had in the meantime is choosing a colour for the bathroom, which is now finished. In my last post I had asked for ideas as I was at a loss and although in my mind I was convinced I wanted a dark colour I actually came to the decision to go with a really calm neutral on the woodwork that would give just enough contrast with the white walls and soften the stark white sanitary ware. Here is a peek…it is Ammonite by Farrow & Ball.
The next couple of weeks are going to be VERY busy with cleaners, the floor being oiled, Jules fitting the kitchen, big new furniture being delivered and then moving in the weekend after next! Wish us luck!